Will On A Bike

One man rides his bike across the United States and lives to tell about it.

Wednesday, August 16

I'm in Baker City, Oregon, baby!

Sweet! Thanks for all the comments. A little intro to the blog and some notes on Interesting Things:

I want you, as the reader, to get only the most interesting, most titillating bits of this trip. Because I see a lot of nothing even though I see everything. Telling the most interesting stuff makes my trip feel more substantial and hopefully will make me seem like a better writer. With that said:

I'm currently wanting to get away from the computer and stop setting up my blog because I have a date with the gas station. I am literally going to sit at any Chevron or Shell gas station next to my bike until someone talks to me. Then, I'm going to see if I can get a place to stay.

I rode through a thunderstorm today. It hailed for almost 20 miles, most of which thankfully were downhill. That also meant, though, that the rain hit me much harder than it would have normally. I remember thinking to myself: "Ow."

I shouldn't have rode through it, though. I should have stopped the second I saw lightning crack a couple miles to my right. No, I should have stopped when I saw all those bruised and angry clouds from the safety of Sumpter, Oregon's laundromat, where (ironically enough) I was washing my clothes.

Digression: I saved four butterflies at that laundromat earlier that day. They were flapping into the window and clawing at the glass. Some had given up and were just sitting there, barely moving their wings. It must be a really hard concept for an animal to grasp. Windows I mean.

But back to the storm. I always forget one thing. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, there's always one item that I neglect to bring, wash or pack. Today, I forgot to take out my gloves for the storm. My gloves live in my handlebar bag, which was tightly wrapped in a plastic turkey bag so that it wouldn't get wet. In other words, it was completely inaccessible if you're lazy and hope that the storm will let up in the next mile or so. The reason why this is significant: I've had a lot of weird hand/elbow/wrist pains in the last two weeks, but never have I lost the ability to move my fingers. After the rain/hail/wind of today, I could barely make a fist. It was really, really scary.

Other weird hand thing to note: I think I've pinched a nerve in my right hand because I go in and out of being able to feel my pinky and my ring finger. I'm worried that the damage will be permanent, considering the fact that I only have four hand positions on my handlebars and those four hand positions will never become eight or twenty. I tend to get paranoid about this kind of stuff. For a while I was convinced I had testicular cancer. Instead, it was epididymitis, which is not serious at all.

Stupidest thing I did today: Nearing my destination but still in the thick of the storm, I came across a truck weighing station. Every single truck weighing station I've come across so far has been closed and so was this one. But the thing is: the weighing device still works even if the station is closed. So, despite having seen a lightning strike less than a mile from the station, I turned around, got up onto it and weighed myself. The bike and I came out to 308 pounds. It was worth it.

I'm a little dizzy and feel like I've just woken up because I've been staring at this screen for so long. I'll make an effort post regularly. Thanks for reading.

12 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I had the MM interview, but I wish I was with you.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we were happy to read that you knew the better part of valor is stay out of the thunderstorms... Try massaging your wrist and hand, i imagine that your muscles are reacting to being in those positions such a long time.

Love from your family

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are writing, We'll forward the site to Colin. In the desert I know you need to watch for water coming down from river beds and gullies during desert thunderstorms. Not sure if that is true in Oregon and Idaho. Karen

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the hand injury that you are talking about from months ago? You never looked into that? I love your plan to sit at a gas station... I'm sure you will find someone who will inquire as to what you are doing! I am so happy that you will be posting as often as you can. I can't wait to read more. Miss you terribly!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a gas station? do these people not have a local starbucks? and, talking to strangers who frequent gas stations sort of feels like a recipe for disaster. just saying. be careful, bro. the world is wearier without you in our state.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say this site is awesome practise for my medical career. I have made the following diagnoses, based on your post:

1) Ulnar nerve paralysis, probably temporary from riding in the one position all day.

2) Testicular cancer that is falsely parading as epididymitis

3) A pure case of the crazies.

Seriously, big up on finally doing the trip and I hope it all works well!

Hopefully you can ride across Australia, from Melbourne to Broome, one day (look those places up on a map).

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tired of comments like "I need your help. " or buy antibiotics online. Then write to me at icq 75949683256...

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely, i just added a lot of new emo backgrounds for my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good night!
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online kmg

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is your favourite season?
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy lipitor myain
order lexapro vjfod

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Also visit my website ... external link

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home